[Retros] Math aspects of Retro from Yefim Treger 08/21/2004
flab at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Aug 23 22:14:08 EDT 2004
Renny Bosch wrote:
> On my computer, his subsequent images came out just fine, but Francois
> Labelle's textual diagrams didn't.
Here are some different options to see my diagrams:
- Set your mail program to use a fixed-width font.
- Copy-and-paste the textual diagrams to a text editor and set the font to
- Read the message from the archives:
- Copy the FEN lines and view them in the program of your choice. For
* Xboard and WinBoard have the option "Paste Position" (you may have to
add a dummy " w - - 0 1" to a make it legal FEN). This has the benefit
over GIF that you can play some moves.
* The following website is meant to play chess endgames, but you can use
it to view a FEN position and play moves. If you only put the FEN diagram
it will assume " w - - 0 1" which is nice. http://chess.jaet.org/endings/
> Is there a standard of etiquette for showing positions on this board?
> On 21 Aug, Yefim Treger asked, "may I give chess positions in gif (jpeg,
> bmp) files. Is it OK?", but no one answered.
I can't speak for everybody. I'll just say that e-mail was originally
designed to send text, not images. As a result, the GIF positions posted
by Yefim Treger come out as junk in the archives:
More information about the Retros