[Retros] rights & ocassions / not answering Andrew anymore

Guus Rol grol33 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 04:49:20 EDT 2014

Dear Per,

I haven't looked it up in PDB, but I know that Probleemblad gave the number
of moves 41.5 plus the status "drawn". I think that is the correct way to
do it. "Remis" instead of "remisiert" is confusing in my opinion.

In simple mating problems the stipulation is always #2 or #6 while it could
have been just #n, n being the minimum required. It is natural to clearly
state the goal that is to be achieved instead of letting the solver find
out parts of it. This is not an absolute. A problem may be composed to
direct you to a non-optimum goal as a try. Not giving the goal away then
becomes a thematic part of the composition.

Premature repetition is a try where one, on the way to a targeted position,
repeats another position twice resulting in an automatic draw. Quite often
this happens the move just before reaching the goal. Some will argue that
repetitions before the diagram need not necessarily draw but I believe the
related convention makes it mandatory. In that respect the 3R convention is
different from the 50M convention which does leave room for elongated
no-progress series before the diagram. I think that, in view of recent
changes in FIDE regulations, these retro-conventions need a makeover.

Best wishes, Guus Rol.