[Retros] More Dupont-"originals"

Joost de Heer joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 21 10:10:19 EDT 2013

On Fri, June 21, 2013 16:01, Nicolas Dupont wrote:

> Dear retro friends,

>> IT IS A SAD THING, BUT I HAVE NOW FOUND THAT TWO

>> OTHER PROBLEMS BY NICOLAS DUPONT FROM THE NEW FIDE-ALBUM 2004-2006

>> HAVE ALSO BEEN PUBLISHED SOMEWHERE ELSE AS ORIGINALS:H 52: NOT (ONLY)

>> FRANCE-ECHCES 2004, BUT ALSO: QUARTZ 2004, 3RD PRIZE (P1067379);H 58:

>> NOT (ONLY) FRANCE-ECHECS 2005, BUT ALSO: PROBLEEMBLAD 2005,

>> COMMENDATION (SEE P1068036, BUT THE BQ HAS TO BE AT E8, NOT AT H8; CF.

>> THE AWARD IN PROBLEEMBLAD 2009, P. 179).

> From the Codex, this is the (retro) editor of a given magazine who

> has to decide if a given entry is original or not.

The codex is pretty clear nowadays:

Article 20 - Definition of Publication

(1) Publication of a chess composition consists of communicating it to the
public, whether in permanent form (e.g. a document or a recording medium)
or transient form (e.g. on a demonstration board or through an electronic
medium).

(2) For the purposes of this Article, "communicating to the public" means
enabling an unrestricted number of people to have the opportunity of
access to a chess composition by

(a) presenting it in permanent form, or
(b) showing or using it in a lecture or solving tournament which falls
within the categories listed in Annex I, or
(c) showing it in transient form through a generally accessible medium
(e.g. an electronic network). [22].

[22] Including the Internet and electronic mailing lists, but not e-mail.

France-echecs.com is a publicly accessible medium, so posting a diagram
there consists of publication. How many people will see it there is
irrelevant.

I don't know if in 2004 this article was present, so at that time there
may not have been a double publication.

Joost