[Retros] Fairy Conditions FW: Messigny 2013 results

Kevin Begley kevinjbegley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 07:59:24 EDT 2013

Interesting insight.

Perhaps it would help to divide rule-alterations into those which are
merely "constraints" (which merely limit the legality space), and those
which are "conditions" (which may, in some instances, expand the legality
space).

Maybe the priority should default to the condition.

I do agree with the philosophy -- first, seek precise agreements on the
fundamental terms, then much of the mess will resolve itself.

However, you have a more fundamental problem to address, before you can
even seek a precise split between constraint/condition -- that is, we have
yet to agree on a precise definition for "fairy chess."
Nobody has yet managed a comprehensive definition, and I would submit to
you that the separation is purely artificial (it does not actually exist).

If you define fairy to be anything other than FIDE rules of chess, you have
to address the fact that FIDE-rules are not constant.

I've gone around and around with just about everybody on this, for years.
It has proven impossible to make any progress.
The term is deliberately kept artificial, in order to exploit certain
prejudices/advantages (especially vis-a-vis titles).

With no underlying logic to these false divisions -- it is impossible to
achieve a consensus for a sound foundation.
I have concluded that it must be easier to locate (or create) some
alternative means to express the problem form -- something which is founded
upon logical fundamentals, rather than a strict, misguided adherence to a
prejudiced favoritism.

I have likely composed my last chess problem -- despite a recent
publication in feenschach, which I had asked to have redacted (and the
editor agreed, many months ago -- I suppose that was forgotten).
Despite all the beauty that chess problems offer, I have lost all faith in
the endurance of this artform.

I would prefer to imagine that chess never existed, and instead focus on an
axiomatic problem environment, where elegance of statement is the ideal.

I have wandered out of Egypt.