[Retros] Messigny 2013 results

Nicolas Dupont Nicolas.Dupont at univ-lille1.fr
Fri Jul 5 17:09:39 EDT 2013

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your clever message, on which I fully agree, in particular
concerning the fact that we don't have to feel prisoners of the past.
If in the future my own inventions are modified, in order to fit a
well-chosen and unique axiomatic system, I would simply say (if still
alive!) "ok guys, thanks for the improvement!"

It is also important to note that the lack of homogeneous conventions is an
obstacle for inventors of new fairy conditions (and certainly for
programmers too). Indeed they have to scan each particular situation,
such as castling, pep, delocalized pawn, etc. and each time to
indicate their own choice among the various possible conventions (when
not inventing a new one, adding some more mess!)...

It would be easier for everybody (but maybe is it a dream) if, once
the general rules a new fairy condition are exposed, their
implications to particular cases would be automatic.

I had to face another theoretical difficulty very recently: when a
fairy condition is limiting the field of move possibilities, does it
means that the moves which don't fulfill this limitation become de
facto illegal? (this is important to e.g. detect the cages in circé
cage + another fairy condition).

It seems everybody agrees that a knight move is illegal in Monochrom.
But what about Maximummer? The definition says that, among legal
moves, one of maximum length must be played. It doesn't tell us if the
remaining moves become de facto illegal...

All the best,

Nicolas.