[Retros] Fairy Conditions FW: Messigny 2013 results

Yoav Ben-Zvi yoavbz97 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 05:27:04 EDT 2013

At a more basic level I wonder about the difference in the standard
interpretation of the Maximummer condition as compared to Monochrome Chess.
Maximummer is considered a restriction of the solution space, which can be
attributed to one side or both, while Monochrome Chess is taken to be a
modification of the rules and is generally applied to both sides. The
practical difference lies in the answer to the question of whether a King
can move into check when its capture is prohibited by the condition (in
mating problems one might also ask if it is mate when the escape from check
does not meet the condition). It seems to me opportunities could be opened
by considering making use of the opposite interpretation for each condition
which might be called "Monochrommer" (including White, Black or Double) and
"Maximum Chess" (This was suggested many years ago and called
"Ultra-Maximummer", see Anthony Dickins, A Guide to Fairy Chess, chapter on
unorthodox stipulations).

Yoav Ben-Zvi