[Retros] Messigny 2013 results

Joost de Heer joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 4 17:34:26 EDT 2013

On 07/04/2013 10:56 PM, Thomas Maeder wrote:

> Am 04.07.2013 21:10, schrieb Joost de Heer:

>> How does Madrasi+Maximummer work? Or Madrasi+Haan vs Maximummer+Haan?

> I'm sure that nobody has ever defined it.

> Popeye implements Madrasi+Maximummer with regular (non-Maximummer)

> paralysis. I.e. in the position white ra1 black ra5, the rooks are

> paralysed even if the distance to h1/h5 is longer than to the other

> rook. Other programs may well do this differently.

> In Madrasi+Haan, observation doesn't go through holes. This seems very

> natural, so I doubt that any program would do this differently.

> I don't get the question about Maximummer+Haan.

> All this seems unrelated to my previous post, though.

Case 1: With Madrasi, castling is just a kingmove. With maximummer it's
both a king- and a rookmove. So what is it with Madrasi+Maximummer? In
your position, queenside castling is possible under the madrasi rule,
but if it's also a rookmove according to maximummer, then it's not legal
because the rook is paralysed.

In combination with Haan: If castling is a king-move, then only e1
should be a hole after castling. If castling is both a rook- and a
kingmove, both a1 and e1 (in case of queenside castling) should be holes
after castling. So haan would work differently in combination with
Madrasi than in combination with maximummer.

Joost