[Retros] Fwd: Are the King and the Rook pieces or what?

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Mon Jan 28 12:38:35 EST 2008

I see we agree that "intent" is a touchy subject :-)

The analytical challenge here is in the approach to
"simultaneous/concurrent events". Of course, life events are never
really simultaneous but they may appear to be within the margins of
error connected to our observational capabilities. We could distinguish
two flavours of concurrency: (a) resonant/neutral concurrency (b)
dissonant concurrency (my terminology).

Touching King and Rook with castling right simultaneously can be
considered resonant concurrency as these events are pointing in the same
direction (even the same intent) and can be interpreted together as a
single prelude to castling. As there need not be any preference for the
one or the other it would be quite appropriate for the arbiter to
require validation of both touches by castling (note: I do not state
that this is FIDE rule, I didn't look it up).

If, on the other hand, the castling move is illegal then we have a
dissonant concurrency which cannot be resolved by embracing both
touches. The same is true for the combination of resignation and
checkmate in the example below. Whenever dissonant concurrency is
encountered we need an additional decision criterium. "Intent" is not
the most likely decider in such a criterium since the dissonance more or
less invalidates the unified intent - I can invent many different
"intentional" stories surrounding the checkmate/resignation events, all
somewhat suspect.

I doubt that all the required decision criteria have been defined in
chess, but I think that inserting some attractive decisioning principles
might help. E.g., let's say "Humans over Systems" in games and "Systems
over Humans" in compositions. I could supply some arguments for that
position! In the example below the resignation would win the day in an
actual game, whereas checkmate would prevail in the composition. Not
much wrong with that.

There is nothing inevitable about this analysis but at least it supplies
an angle for discussion.

Guus Rol.