[Retros] Fwd: Are the King and the Rook pieces or what?

pastmaker at aol.com pastmaker at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 19:28:02 EST 2008

I'm never sure that I fullly understand Guus's rich prose (which is not, as he once modestly suggested, a matter of writing in a language other than Dutch), but I venture a short reply.

I was not asking about what happens in a composition (such drama being a little out of my compositional comfort zone), but only about the result in a game under the FIDE rules.? I agree with Guus that the player who declares his resignation simultaneously (and we simply must assume simultaneity for this purpose - - that's not the issue here) with making a checkmating move?should lose the game under the FIDE rules.

My guess is that of those?who care enough to answer the question,?50% would?say that the player lost by resignation,?50% that he won by checkmate, and?50% that?it should be a draw.

And none of this addresses Roberto's excellent point about the Rook.

Regards,
Tom