[Retros] Castling temporarily changed and repetition of position

Alain BROBECKER abrobecker at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 06:49:15 EDT 2007

---- olli.heimo at luukku.com wrote ----

> > My view is that the word temporarily is superfluous since the case

> Think about this: wKe1 wRh1 wBa7 - bKe8 bpe2. Game continues

> 1.Kf2 Kf7 2.Ke1 Ke8 3.Kf2 Kf7 4.Ke1 and now black claims for

> draw by intending the move 4. - Ke8. White says no because

> in the beginning he had permanent castling right. A few

I agree. The permanent right to castle has changed.
But the temporary right will not change with positions
where pieces are on the same squares with same mobility.

> years ago I suggested in Finland that both words "temporarily

> and permanently" should be removed from the rules and perhaps

> replaced with the word "immidiate".

That would be better.

---- G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl wrote ----

> One might argue that this rule was designed very cleverly to not just

> include regular chess but also fairy variants.

If only this was the case...

---- andrew at anselan.com wrote ----

> FIDE Head Arbiter Guert Gijssen reported in chesscafe in 2004 that he wanted

> to remove the "temporarily". He proposed this change to the (then draft)

> rules, but was outvoted, and he was baffled why anyone would vote against

> his proposal.

Wow! That sounds strange... I can understand they don't want to
consider composition related issues (forced mate when the flag fall...),
that will never happen in "real" play. But if M. Gijssen proposed it
and it was refused, maybe it's because of political problems, the
lobbying you speak of, and that's sad.

> Nevertheless, the success of the Open Source movement in IT

What is that?

regards, Alain

Alain Brobecker (abrobecker at yahoo.com) |_ _ _ |_
http://abrobecker.free.fr/ |_)(_|(_|| ) of Arm's Tech