[Retros] Is it always right to loose because time?

Joost de Heer joost at sanguis.xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 9 18:30:50 EDT 2007

Franco wrote:

> Hi friends,

> let us suppose that after his flag's fall the player

> shows to the arbiter that the only legal move

> he had just was checkmate.

> As example:

> 1k6-ppp5-8-KP6-P7-8-Q2r4-4b3

> W plays Qg8 and then B flag just fall before he can move.

> The only move he could do is just: Rd8 mate!

> The Question is: is it right that Black looses that game

> because time?

> I think no. I think Black is the winner.

6.10

Except where Articles 5.1 or one of the Articles 5.2 (a), (b) and (c)
apply, if a player does not complete the prescribed number of moves in
the allotted time, the game is lost by the player. However, the game is
drawn, if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the
player`s king by any possible series of legal moves, even with the most
unskilled counterplay.

This is the case, so the game is drawn.

Joost