[Retros] Economy rules

A J Mestel A.J.Mestel at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 4 06:53:12 EST 2007

I'm no expert in problem aesthetics. A long time ago I composed a more
mover when I had to guard WKh2 against R-checks. It looked simplest and
neatest to me to add WPg2 WPh3. As (once!) a player, this just seems like
a natural king position - nothing "jars" when I look at a king-side like
that.

I showed my problem to the great Norman MaCleod and he corrected my WPh3
to a BPh3, saying it was a definite improvement, more aesthetic, less
wasted white force etc. To me it looked ugly. The point is obvious -
it's all in the mind of the beholder.

There is no uniform agreement about these things, although sometimes there
is a concensus. As to what judges like - better ask the award-winners....

Jonathan