[Retros] Economy rules

Rol, Guus G.A.Rol at umcutrecht.nl
Tue Dec 4 06:34:00 EST 2007

Nice example. Skipping over the economy rules I am a great believer in
the aesthetics of chess positions. I once even slipped in a redundant
pawn (by removing one and adding two pawns) for better geometry looks in
publication. The cute thing is that aesthetics works subconsciously. It
may get you an award where he judge doesn't even know why he awarded you
- something he will never admit of course.

In your position (without knowing it exactly) I would probably favor the
black knight. Neutral pawns in conjunction with a white pawn look awful
in print, whereas the black knight features nicely. Aesthetics is
subjective though, so you may have a different perception.

Guus Rol.