[R129 SL] Soft Top and Roll Bar Indicator Lights On - Soft TopControl Unit

seitle seitle at whidbey.com
Wed Apr 8 18:48:04 EDT 2009

I second Peter! Often just connector corrosion and poor solder connections
are the problem. Dealers and many mechanics will just throw part at the
problem. I get lazy and sometimes use bad judgment myself. The other day I
replaced the auxiliary water pump that provides heat during idle. The lowest
price was just under US$200. After I replaced the pump, I took the removed
unit to the bench and took it apart. The pump impeller is driven by a
magnetic coupling from the motor. The motor did not seem to be openable
without destruction. It did however roll off the bench and drop to the
floor. I reconnected it to a 12 Volt source and it ran and never stopped in
24 hours of test. I now have a spare I will never need again.

Spring is finally coming to the Pacific Northwest! But I think NZ would be
the ideal place to go between January and March! I want to consider this
next year.

Rolf Seitle
300E, 320SL