[R129 SL] Soft Top and Roll Bar Indicator Lights On - Soft TopControl Unit

Peter S joyce.pm at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 8 18:02:31 EDT 2009

Hi Jody,

With electrical and electronic failures, the mileage has very little to do
with the failures! In fact in the older circuit configurations of the
electronic 'goodies', corrosion/corrosion oxidisation, and capacitors
'drying out' are the main causes of failures.

I actually pull apart the electronics and try to fix them. Many of the
older parts have discreet components (transistors, resistors, some mini
chips etc) so I have fixed most of the parts myself (unless the vehicle is
under a limited warranty). At the moment, I am repairing a 'flasher unit'
for my 1983, W123 . While I have some spare parts for most of my Merc's, I
like to find out the reason for failures, hence the inquisitiveness. The
Flasher unit has a dud transistor and a dud capacitor - just have to replace
them and the parts cost me about 20 cents 15 years ago. A replacement
flasher is about NZ$300.

If you have a circuit board out at all (or the auto electrician has it
out!), spray the circuit board with CRC Zone 240. This is good stuff and
limits corrosion. Note also that corrosion also occurs on plugs and
sockets, so these also need to be maintained. True also for your fuse
connections.

I have repaired 2 x central lock controllers - reasons for failure - 'dry
joints' (poor soldering by the manufacturer). Cars had travelled less than
35,000 miles!!!! MB contract out all this stuff and Bosch do a fair bit of
manufacturing for MB.

Note also that window switches fail as well. There are only about 7 parts
in each these switches, I have accumulated a lot of old ones, so I fix these
for people if I have the exact bits - and if they are club members! Easy to
repair and saves a heap of $$.

So Jody, sometimes mileage has little to do with electrical and electronic
failures as atmosphere takes it's never ending toll on metallic parts.

Well, getting colder in good old New Zealand as we are now in Autumn. 21
degrees C, 2 days ago and now it is 8 degrees C. Nearly time to put on a
jersey!!! Easter Thursday here, so a full weekend is planned with Easter
Services and car/ motorcycle events.

Have a good one wherever you are in the world.

Regards, Peter S.