[LargeFormat] Big Old Cave

Leigh Solland (on Chickadee) solland at telusplanet.net
Sat Jun 4 20:18:32 EDT 2005

>   The paper negative process is very powerful. All sorts of
> manipulation of the image can be done, even replacing parts of it. It
> really requires no special equipment other than a printing frame of
> suitable size. A printing frame can be made of a sheet of plywood or
> similar and a sheet of glass. A real spring loaded frame is nice but
> can be done without.

Thank you very much, Richard.  I do have some old contact printing
frames, so maybe it is time they were back in use after many years.
 Paper would certainly be easier to work on with a pencil, too.  Do you
(or anyone) happen to know if one kind of pencil is more opaque than
another for these purposes?  I have graphite, charcoal, conte crayons,
and who knows what else in my drawing kit.  I suppose some
experimentation is called for.

Whatever I have read on paper negatives is old, and talks about
single-weight paper, which I don't believe exists any more.  I suppose
that, since the emulsions are together in the print frame, double-weight
paper would not make any difference in sharpness.  However, it should
increase the light requirement to make the print.  Oh well, since I have
no idea what it would have been for single-weight paper, I am no further
behind!  Test strips, here I come.

I just acquired a copy of Mortensen's Monsters and Madonnas, so I am
feeling inspired to try some of these things.

Regards,
Leigh