[LargeFormat] Big Old Cave

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 4 19:52:15 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leigh Solland (on Chickadee)"
<solland at telusplanet.net>
To: "f32 Large Format Photography Mail List"
<largeformat at f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Big Old Cave

> This is my question, if anyone has stayed with me this
> long.  Is it reasonable to make positive transparencies
> onto sheets of normal film (say 120 ASA, panchromatic)
> from a negative mounted on an enlarger?  I haven't been
> able to find any good information about time, aperture,
> etc.  My only experiment to date was a dismal failure.
> Also, I found something that hinted that film can be
> developed quickly in paper developer -- any comments or
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Leigh

   Its practical but the best film for it isn't available
AFAIK in sheet film any more. This was Kodak Fine Grain
Release Positive. Essentially a fast enlarging paper
emulsion on film.
   There are other approaches if you want to do the kind of
manipulation that Mortensen did. The easiest and one of the
best is the paper negative process, once widely used by
pictorialist photographers. This works by making a positive
print from the negative. Then a negative is made by contact
printing this paper to another paper. The final print is
made by contact printing the paper negative. Retouching is
done on both the original positive print and the paper
negative. this allows making dark marks on both rather than
trying to bleach or etch a positive. Retouching can be done
in any medium suitable for printing paper. If done on the
front the results are sharp, if done on the back the
retouching is diffused by the paper.
   It takes some experimentation to find the right contrast
and density for the original positive and paper negative. In
general the first positive print will be a bit contrastier
and darker than a print meant for viewing by the eye. The
paper negative will also look a bit dark and be somewhat
high contrast. Remember, when looking at a reflection print
the light must go through the emulsion twice. If you look at
the print by transmitted light it will look both lower in
contrast and in density. Since both the original positive
and paper negative are to be printed by transmitted light
they should be printed accordingly.
   The paper negative process is very powerful. All sorts of
manipulation of the image can be done, even replacing parts
of it. It really requires no special equipment other than a
printing frame of suitable size. A printing frame can be
made of a sheet of plywood or similar and a sheet of glass.
A real spring loaded frame is nice but can be done without.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com