[LargeFormat] Re: Really Large format 30 x 40

Diane Maher largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 10 07:42:02 2004

I loved reading that story! Thanks for posting!

Diane

---- Original Message ----
Message: 16
From: LNPhoto <LNPhoto@twmi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] REALLY Large Format  30x40
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:10:48 -0500
To: largeformat@f32.net

I"m not sure which version you know.  I'll tell my version, you can
tell his.

The camera sat in the lobby of the Gannett building (aka Photo
building) at Rochester Institute of Technology for many years including
the years I was there. I remember marveling at it and even asked a
couple of old timers about it, but nobody knew anything about it

A couple years back I called master tinkerer PRof Andy Davidhazy about
a Bausch & Lomb microscope camera I had found and wondered if there was
a market up there for it.  He responded that not only was there no room
for it, but that he had a bigger white...er  black elephant that he
couldn't get rid of.... It seems the lobby was being refurbished and
this camera was no longer welcome.

I told him under threat of life was he was not to allow this camera to
be destroyed.  If nothing else I would rescue it. As I hung up the
phone I had madcap visions of shooting little league groups with it by
putting this beast on some sort of scissor jack in the back of a van a
la Professor Fate's car. He couldn't think of what to do with it and I
have to admit I don't know why I didn't think to tell him to call the
Eastman House.

Luckily for me somebody did.

Todd Gustavson curator of cameras at Geo Eastman House got a call, I
assume from PRof. Davidhazy, about this very large, very old camera
that had lost it's lease in the lobby and if somebody didn't take this
thing, it would lose its lease on life.  Todd  was torn between making
space and saving a piece of history (the camera is 24 x 36 INCHES in
format, made between 1897 and 1904 and had a Taylor Taylor Hobson
mammoth plate Rapid Portrait Lens on it from about 1870.)  Todd looked
into the records and found that a camera with a similar description had
once been in the collection. So he went and rescued the camera and
within a couple of hours found the extension rail that fit it AT the
Eastman house!

It seems the camera collection was a very poor orphan division for many
years (Ken Hough will say it still is)  there was no room to keep
cameras at the house, so the previous curators would "loan" cameras out
for storage.  This camera had been a part of the Eastman collection
many years before, but poor records and bad memories nearly lost it
forever.

And frankly its in a much better place there than here.  If I had
implemented my plan and rescued the camera, I would've had to convince
my wife that it really was small enough to fit in the house and that I
was too big to sleep in it outside. A tough sell on both counts.

Les