[LargeFormat] Re: Some more large format digital infrared images

Diane Maher largeformat@f32.net
Thu Mar 11 07:36:02 2004

I'd say that I got the pummeling for saying what I thought, Brock.

As for IR looking like IR, Michael, it doesn't HAVE to.  I shoot IR too (b/w & color) and I do like to see the effects, though they don't always have to be apparent.  Perhaps it's your choice of subject matter with the buildings behind that tree which is unappealing to me.

I've had at least one person tell me up front that they "hated color infrared" and the same person, when shown a different color IR slide, asked me what film I used to take the shot, it felt good for me to say color IR.  The effect of the IR was not as apparent as usual because I had used a different filter.

However, since you INSIST on posting both the 'original' and the 'manipulated' image, I told you what I thought.  Now if you just posted the manipulated image, I wouldn't have any reason to say that I liked the 'original' one better.  Why do you post the original?

Color photographers don't have to be pigeon-holed into "representing what they see" any more than b/w photographers are "free to interpret".

> Things that are at once familiar yet no longer representationally "real" -- that is the surrealism I seek.
I guess that I just don't see this in your IR shots on page 2 of your site.  The ones on page 1 look more 'balanced' color-wise to me.  The ones on page 2 with those annoying yellows are really 'in my face'.  So maybe the colors aren't as 'normal' as I previously thought.

I've never heard of Christopher Burkett and haven't seen his work, so I can't make any comments on his style/technique.

Diane