[LargeFormat] Re: Some more large format digital infrared images

Michael Sullivan largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 10 08:02:04 2004

Dear Diane,

Why does infrared *NEED* to look like infrared?
If I hadn't told you they were infrared would you still "mind"?
Why must color photographers be pigeon-holed into representing
*EXACTLY* what they see?
I find such arguments the main reason color photographers "get no
respect" (think Elliot Porter).
Whereas B&W photographers are free to interpret -- quite a double
standard don't you think?

Further, it is not my intention at all to represent reality.
The negative is the score, the print the performance -- remember?
My images attempt to describe a subtly surreal world of common things.
Things that are at once familiar yet no longer representationally
"real" -- that is the surrealism I seek.
And I achieve that look in the darkroom -- just like Ansel did. (only
my darkroom is Photoshop)
For now, I'm just experimenting with my new "film" and learning its
secrets.

Ironically, one of my inspirations is Christopher Burkett -- his
zen-like 8x10 color prints are so real they border on the unreal for
most people. He takes them to a place they likely will never go. In
short, his breathtaking images are powerful precisely because they
represent another world. It just so happens to be nature. And he just
so happens to use exact color to further the effect. The fact that he
is a pure representationalist and is distinctly anti-digital is not a
problem for me, for I too approach my photography from a spiritual
point of view.

Michael