[LargeFormat] about to take the jump

Peter De Smidt largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 12 00:50:10 2003

.

> After some looking, I am considering one of the older Calumet/B&J
> Orbit/Kodak with round rails. They seem to all be the same
> basic camera
> and all seem to go for around $100 (sans lens) on ebay.
> Would this be a
> reasonable choice? Is there some problem that makes these cameras
> undesireable? Also, most seem to have a 20 to 22" rail but
> is a shorter
> rail available or was this a standard size bar/tube where a shorter
> rail could be easily made?

They are fine studio and "near the car" cameras.  Sometimes the cork
that's used as a washer between the pivoting parts becomes too
compressed and slippery. The result is that you can't really lock down
the movements.  It's simple enough to replace the cork with some other
material.  I can't think of a better camera for the money.

-Peter