[LargeFormat] about to take the jump

William Wiseman largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 12 00:42:23 2003

I have decided to take the jump to a 4x5 camera. After some research
and reading, I think a monorail camera will work for me since almost
everything I will be doing would be close to my car or indoors. I'm
also not a small guy and my normal camera backpack weighs in at 30 lbs.
(with tripod) so carrying a camera case/pack isn't going to be a big
deal. My biggest problem is a tight budget.

After some looking, I am considering one of the older Calumet/B&J
Orbit/Kodak with round rails. They seem to all be the same basic camera
and all seem to go for around $100 (sans lens) on ebay. Would this be a
reasonable choice? Is there some problem that makes these cameras
undesireable? Also, most seem to have a 20 to 22" rail but is a shorter
rail available or was this a standard size bar/tube where a shorter
rail could be easily made?

TIA.

JeffW.