[LargeFormat] about to take the jump

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 12 00:58:26 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Wiseman" <elox@hot.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 9:40 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] about to take the jump

> I have decided to take the jump to a 4x5 camera. After
some research
> and reading, I think a monorail camera will work for me
since almost
> everything I will be doing would be close to my car or
indoors. I'm
> also not a small guy and my normal camera backpack weighs
in at 30 lbs.
> (with tripod) so carrying a camera case/pack isn't going
to be a big
> deal. My biggest problem is a tight budget.
>
> After some looking, I am considering one of the older
Calumet/B&J
> Orbit/Kodak with round rails. They seem to all be the same
basic camera
> and all seem to go for around $100 (sans lens) on ebay.
Would this be a
> reasonable choice? Is there some problem that makes these
cameras
> undesireable? Also, most seem to have a 20 to 22" rail but
is a shorter
> rail available or was this a standard size bar/tube where
a shorter
> rail could be easily made?
>
> TIA.
>
> JeffW.

  There are slight variations in the various incarnations of
this camera. It first appeared as the Kodak Master View and
later was built by Calumet and B&J. I think the Orbit name
was used by B&J.
  Calumet built three versions; the CC-400 standard version,
with 16" rail, CC-401 with 22" rail, and CC-402 with short
rail and bag bellows. I have a CC-400. It is a very sturdily
built camera with extensive movements. With the locks
tightened its quite rigid.
  The camera takes flat Calumet lensboards but will also
accept the 4x4 inch boards made for Anniversary Speed
Graphics and the Graphic View cameras. It has a true
rotating back but it is a spring back, not a
Graflok/Universal type, so won't take roll film holders
other than Calumet's. This is not much of a limitation.
Calumet still has many spare parts for these guys. They were
also used by the military in large numbers.
  The Kodak and Calumet cameras are very well built. I've
not worked with the B&J or Orbit versions so don't know.
They are cheap used, have no glamour whatever, and will do
nearly any job you have.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA