[LargeFormat] Compund Shutters

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 20 23:40:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <cocam@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Compund Shutters

> At 12:33 pm -0400 20/5/03, Stuart Phillips wrote:
> >Clive, I am sure you know this page, from the late Steve
Grimes' site. If
> >not, this might help you:
> >
> >http://www.skgrimes.com/compound/index.htm
>
> Stuart,
>
> Thanks for that - I hadn't seen that page but remember the
others.
> The idea of messing around with paper iris blades puts me
off a
> little. Having done a few CLAs on old studio shutters I
know how
> fragile those paper blades can become  after 50 years of
use and
> quite a challenge to reassemble.
>
> The shutter seems fairly simple though. It really depends
on how worn
> the air piston/barrel has become as to whether the slow
speeds can be
> resurrected. If they are running too slow then it seems
there may be
> a good chance of sorting them. The shutter I am
considering is
> running too fast on the slower speeds so I may simply look
for
> another one which is less worn.
>
> Thanks again for the URL.
>
> Cheers,
>         Clive

  First, try tightening the end caps of the barrel. If they
are even slightly loose there can be an air leak which will
speed up the slow speeds.
  You may have to remove the caps and replace the paper
liners which act as gaskets. I seriously doubt the piston or
cylender is worn. Again, overall speed adjustment is by
means of an eccentric which adjusts the main spring tension.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com