[LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 12 17:38:02 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <Clive.Warren@megacycle.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 12:21 PM
Subject: RE: [LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack
of) ?

> At 11:45 12/01/2003 -0800, Mike Kirwan wrote:
> >There is one modification you can make to make the
Graphic a little more
> >flexible and that is to reverse the front standard. By
doing this you get
> >the benefit od being able to increase the depth of field
from near to far by
> >giving you a forward tilt rather than a backward tilt on
the front standard.
> snip
>
> Whilst this may give some additional flexibility for
pre-Anniversary
> models, the Anniversary, Pacemaker, Century, and Super
Graphics cameras all
> have a drop bed which allows you to both use wide angle
lenses (without
> taking photos of the bed!). In fact, I believe that all
Crown Graphic
> models (1947-1973) had drop beds. Using the drop bed with
some rising front
> gives you all the forward front tilt that you'll be likely
to need for
> general landscape work.
>
> The Crown and Speed Graphic cameras are very flexible -
the only thing
> missing is back movements and of course the lack of a
rotating back
> facility (which they make up for by having two tripod
holes, one on the
http://www.graflex.org for loads
> more information about these wonderful old press cameras,
or simply wait
> for Les Newcomer on this list to read the thread as he is
one of the most
> knowledgeable people about Graflex cameras.
>
> Using an old Crown Graphic is a great way of testing the
waters of large
> format photography without breaking the bank. As Richard
suggests, a
> regular field camera would be a little more flexible.
>
> Cheers,
>             Clive

  The pre-Anniversary (1926-1939) and Anniversary Graphics
(1939-1947) do not have any front tilt. No modification of
the front standard will give you tilt. On pre-Anniversary
Graphics the front rises. On Anniversary Graphics it also
moves sideways a little. Both series have drop beds for wide
angle lenses but the inside part of the track is coupled to
the focus mechanism only on Anniversary Graphics.
  The Pacemaker Graphic has front tilt upwards. A limited
amount of back tilt can be gotten by lowering the drop bed
and raising the front on its standard. This is inconvenient
to say the least, but does give you some tilt.
  It is possible to remove the stops on the front to allow
it to tilt upward but you no longer have a reference for the
straight position. I think there is a modification where
part of the font standard is reversed but its not trivial.
Graphics simply do not have full movements. Where movements
are important some other camera should be chosen.
  FWIW, Speed Graphics are cheaper than Crown Graphics. The
Crown was offered only in the Pacemaker series, they did not
exist in the earlier versions.
  The Crown is more compact, a little over half the depth of
the Speed, and its lighter. However the minimum bellows draw
is about the same plus the focal plane shutter is sometimes
quite handy to have, it lets you use barrel lenses by just
sticking them on the camera.
  If you intend to use sheet film only the Graphic back is
fine. However, the Graflok back allows the use of some
useful accessories and is a more secure mount for Grafmatic
holders and Polaroid adaptors.
  The Graflok was introduced on the Century Graphic in 1949.
It became standard on all 2x3 Graphics in 1950, and on all
sizes of Graphics by the end of 1950. Many earlier cameras
were retrofitted with Graflok backs. Any Graphic and most
Graflex cameras up to 4x5 will take a Graflok with little or
no surgery. The Graflok is heavier than the original Graphic
back. An Anniversary Graphic with a Graflok is quite a
heavyweight.
  If you decide to get a Speed Graphic check the condition
of the back shutter curtain. They can be replaced but the
price should come down substantially if the rear shutter is
not functioning or needs a curtain.
  Bellows are usually OK on Anniversary or Pacemaker
Graphics. They are made of a synthetic which seems to be
very long lived. Earlier Graphics may have leather bellows,
which should be carefully examined. Earlier Graphics when
rebuilt by Graflex had the bellows replaced with the
synthetic kind. Graflex offered a rebuilding service which
was pushed during WW-2 because new cameras were not
avialable on the civilian market.
  All of these cameras were designed for press photography
and are very rugged and reliable. Most problems can be fixed
but beware of true junkers, there are plenty.
  On one of the web sites there is a statement that the
focal plane shutters are useless and are often removed. Not
true. The rear shutter can be very useful. A camera without
one has probably been gutted for parts and should be avoided
except as a parts camera.
  Beside the Graflex.org web page check your library
holdings for any edition of _Graphic-Graflex Photography_
Morgan and Lester, and later Morgan and Morgan. This book
was published in about yearly editions from 1939 to sometime
in the mid 1960's. The later editions have good charts of
all the models.
  They are old enough to have been withdrawn from many
libraries but you may be able to find one through
interlibrary loan. They also still show up used.