[LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?

Mike Kirwan largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 12 14:49:00 2003

There is one modification you can make to make the Graphic a little more
flexible and that is to reverse the front standard. By doing this you get
the benefit od being able to increase the depth of field from near to far by
giving you a forward tilt rather than a backward tilt on the front standard.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of Richard Knoppow
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 11:33 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Gill" <johngill@email.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 10:34 AM

> I'm new at this and have a basic(very)question. I want to
do landscapes with the Crown Graphic which I'm told has
limited movements. I'm doing this for fun so perfection is
not that important. I want to learn and get some enjoyment
too.
> What type of landscape photographs can I expect to make
with this camera assuming a decent lens ?
> Thanks,
> John
> --

   Camera movements are used for two main purposes, one is
to rectify perspective, particularly in vertical shots; the
other is to increase apparent depth of field. Both are more
important in architectural and product photograhy than for
landscapes.
   The trade off for the Speed/Crown Graphic is movements
vs: a light weight and very compact camera. The Graphic also
allows you to work hand held if you want, again, not
important for landscapes. I think it has just enough movment
capability not to limit you too much, however,if you intend
to do the sort of work which requires a lot of camera
movement the Graphic is not a good choice: you need a real
view camera.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA