[LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 12 14:34:34 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Gill" <johngill@email.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 10:34 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?

> I'm new at this and have a basic(very)question. I want to
do landscapes with the Crown Graphic which I'm told has
limited movements. I'm doing this for fun so perfection is
not that important. I want to learn and get some enjoyment
too.
> What type of landscape photographs can I expect to make
with this camera assuming a decent lens ?
> Thanks,
> John
> --

   Camera movements are used for two main purposes, one is
to rectify perspective, particularly in vertical shots; the
other is to increase apparent depth of field. Both are more
important in architectural and product photograhy than for
landscapes.
   The trade off for the Speed/Crown Graphic is movements
vs: a light weight and very compact camera. The Graphic also
allows you to work hand held if you want, again, not
important for landscapes. I think it has just enough movment
capability not to limit you too much, however,if you intend
to do the sort of work which requires a lot of camera
movement the Graphic is not a good choice: you need a real
view camera.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA