[LargeFormat] Cutting a ground glass

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 14 15:52:13 2002

I agree with Jim.  I had to cut lots of glue cracked glass (that glass
that looks like it's crystalized)  I followed the recommendations of the
stain glass worker.... buy a very nice cutter. keep in in oil. Don't score
a second time. For large cuts use a dowel rod under the score and snap the
glass on the dowel rod (1/4"-3/8")  Always cut on the glossy side.  use
pliers with  soft jaws (or a rag or piece of leather) to grab small pieces.

By following those rules I managed to cut and glass 15 windows in an
afternoon without a mis-break.

Another piece of sage advice I got from a glazier.  Older glass will have
unkown internal stresses and as good a score as you get it will go where
it wants to. Newer glass will behave much better than older glass.