[LargeFormat] Cutting a ground glass

Ken Sinclair largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 14 15:34:16 2002

Hi Jim,

I would cut from the "glossy" side

The trick in cutting glass is to have a little dribble mineral oil along
the line that you need to cut.

I would be tempted to go and get a new glass cutter rather than use the old
one that has been"bruised" in the toolbox over time .. Unfortunately, the
glass cutters that do the best job are not the "cheapies".....  this is the
one time a diamond really is a guy's best friend.

Make sure you hold the glass cutter VERTICAL  and do not press too hard....
ie., you are not trying to cut through the glass, but rather to make a
light "score". (You may want to get a regular piece of glass of the same
thicknes on which to practice a little  8-)   )
A gentle pulling apart with a downward "pull" (away from the scoring)

good luck

Ken

>I have a 15x15 inch piece of ground glass which I want to cut down to
>11x14.
>
>I'm used to a glass cutter but find that with this type of glass, I get
>uneven cuts when trying to cut off the small triangular piece in the
>corners.... I made a mess of an 8x10 sheet.
>
>Does anyone know if it's best to cut from the glossy or the etched side?

 [||/\/\/\/\//\/||        Ken Sinclair RBP, FBPA.
 [||                            ||-|    Applied Photographic Services
 [||                            ||   |  Lethbridge,
 [||                            ||   |  Alberta, Canada,
 [||                            ||-|   (403) 381-1654.
 [||\/\/\/\//\/\||       photo1@telusplanet.net