[LargeFormat] 250mm Wide Field Ektar

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun May 5 16:26:11 2002

At 3:34 pm -0700 4/5/02, Charles Thorsten wrote:
> [...]
snip
>Although I've never personally used the lens, I know it was
>one of Ansel Adams' favorites.  He refers to it in many writings
>including Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs.  Of course,
>he refers to it as a 10-inch Wide Field Ektar, but it's the same
>lens.  Much of his best work during the '30s and '40s was done
>with this lens and a Cooke triple convertible set.  Perhaps
>someone on this list has personal experience with it?
>
>-Charlie

Some more information from the chap who sold me the lens that really
made my day!

This lens originally belonged to the Photographic Illustration
Division of Eastman Kodak Company in Rochester, NY. In the early
1980s, most 8x10 equipment was retired. Some items were sold to
employees and he happened to buy this particular lens which he hardly
ever used as his interests began shifting away from large format
photography. He also said "I guess Kodak and I were the only owners
of this lens and as I was a Kodak employee anyway, the lens never
left Kodak hands before you got it."

So in 2002 I bought a 250mm Wide Field Ektar from Kodak. I wonder if
it was cherry picked..... :-)

Huge grins,
            Clive