[LargeFormat] 11x14 camera question (was Re: Tessar, Nettar, Novar...)

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 25 09:33:16 2002

Thanks Phil,

Yes, you're correct,  I'm the guy with the 11x14.

I'm still working on it...  At this stage, the bellows are clean of
light leaks but the back is not 100% lightproof (this can be temporarily
remedied with the dark cloth).  I've also built a contraption to mount
the camera on my tripod (a heavy duty Manfrotto 36061) and it gives me
pretty good stability.  I've also built a lens plate to fit my vintage
Dallmeyer Adon telephoto lens on it.  I was amazed to see that I could
get 11x14 coverage from such a small lens (it has a lens diameter of 1
1/4 inch...).

I did dicover that my wooden film holder is about 1/4 inch less wide
than the opening in the back and I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with
that.  The question is whether the opening (13 5/16)  is too wide or the
film holder not fit for that camera.

Can anyone answer that question?

I've done a couple of tests using paper negatives with the camera (which
highlighted the light leaks in the back) and I still have to do some
work on mending this and that.  But, hopefully, it will be ready for the
summer (if summer ever comes - it's minus 10 celsius this morning
outside in Montreal...).  The next thing will be to find 11x14 film for
it.

Obviously, this is not a camera that is easy to use.  The whole gear
(camera, film holder, trip) is damn' heavy to carry around and I can't
imagine going out with it except in the quietest of days. Once extended
20 inches, the bellows would catch into the wind and do quite a bit of
damage!  But I suppose that if I go out at dawn on a quiet morning, set
up the gear, it should be OK.  I bet that by the time I have a few
negatives behind me, I'll feel that I want to get a modern one and leave
this one at home as a decorative piece...

Cheers,

Guy