[LargeFormat] A new departure

Kevin M. Bell largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 6 23:13:55 2002

At 07:40 PM 3/6/2002, you wrote:
>I would suggest that you enquire with FedEx and UPS about film - I would
>suspect that the most likely screening will be with a 'sniffer' rather
>than an X-ray. The challenge with an x-ray would be the wide variety of
>legitimate items that will raise suspicion. I would expect that FedEx,
>UPS & USPS are all re-evaluating their screening - and may be less than
>forthcoming about their screening methods.
>
>Regards Dave

I have enquired with FedEx, as I use them for shipping.  I was particularly
interested as I will be in China early next year, and thought it might be
preferable to ship film to my hotel rather than carry it through the
airport screening process.  It may be that FedEx is using a 'sniffer', but
that shouldn't affect film.  It may also be that they are less than
forthcoming, but I would expect that to open them to liability - if a
professional photographer found their film damaged after being told
specifically that x-rays would not be used, a lawsuit and real damage to
their credibility and desirability as a shipper would be inevitable.

Am I automatically a good guy because I have an account?  Obviously not,
but it does make it less likely that a well established business with years
of track record would use a traceable account to cause trouble.  A modicum
of common sense is needed in the post-September 11 world.

Kevin M. Bell
www.camera-collectors.com
1-877-977-5091