[LargeFormat] Enlargers and the New Darkroom

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Sun Feb 10 08:22:01 2002

Dear Charles and Jim,

     Thanks for the confirmation that I have not gone crazy. The great
tungsten experiment continues apace. The filter pack is now down to nothing
but .45 yellow and I have litereally been printing all day on Agfa Signum II
paper from Kodak Portra 160 VC negatives.

    One order has been for 14 8 x 10/s of a varicoloured group of fantasy
adventures complete with flaming torches and drawn swords. Well, that's my
clientele for you - I just ask them not to set the grass on fire. The prints
were run off in succession through the Agfa chemistry in the Nova tanks and
I'll be blessed if I can see any variation in balance or density. They are
all money earners.

    The real bonus for me if this system stays good is the ability to print
through 4 x 5 colour negs. Now, you don't want to ask how much the sheet
film costs because I am ashamed to admit that I spend that much money just
to get the ultimate detail, but I assure you that the negatives are VERY
satisfactory. Okay, they are glamour and dance pictures and the subject
matter is glorious, but the actual negs are a pleasure too.

    I cannot deny that I would like a good big colour head for the Fujimoto,
or a new Kaiser or Beseler or ZBE enlarger, but I am forced to follow Teddy
Roosevelt's advice in this - I have to do what I can with what I have, where
I am. And speak softly and carry a big stick. I can do this. It is a treat
to see me getting stuck into unwanted visitors at the front door -
whispering and whacking all the way down the street.....

     I am afraid I have a suspicion that the various importers of enlargers
here in the the antipodes have lost all interest in the trade*. They have
possibly see the rise of digital as a signal to abandon the rest of us to
the secondhand section of the photo store and make their fortunes on
high-end digital gear. Pooh. I have my hopes that top-knotch enlargers will
be put on the market by panicking pros, but then again i have seen some of
the enlargers that have served in pro darkrooms and they have been pretty
well beaten about the head and carriers.

    Ah, but how can this be - with the equal rise of the new large format
market - the Wisners and Ebonys and Tachiharas that are set to draw back
purists to the fold. We are going to need enlargers from SOMEwhere and I am
still hoping the manufacturers will decide to stay in the local market.

    Thank you also to the JOBO commentators. I have compared your times for
the developing cycle to my own manual times - I have also compared the
possible time load for print processing. The conclusion for me is that I
would like to take a punt on roll and sheet film development in one of the
less-automated forms. The ATLs sound wonderful but the local pricing
structure seems to place them out of all contention. I think that the CPA's
or CPE's will be cheaper. I am hoping for a disgruntled amateur who hasn't
been able to make it work. Wish me luck.

    Uncle Dick

* Meopta importer decided to drop all photo trade a week ago. Fool.