[LargeFormat] Wooden Field Camera Jigsaws

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 19 14:47:25 2002

At 2:48 pm -0800 18/1/02, Les Newcomer wrote:
>I use an alphitic glue, plain old yellow wood glue. It's water resistant,
>has a long working time and doesn't turn your fingers black. Best to use
>blocks and clamps. For a release agent between the block and the camera I
>use a real High tech, High molecular, low friction film--wax paper.
>
>As far as those pesky brads go, I've used a spatula (no dear  I did NOT use
>your mother's sterling butter knife) to try to get under the fabric and
>lift.  Once the sterling gets locked up you can find smaller and stiffer
>spatualas at art supply stores, got a very nice stainless steel version with
>a 1/4" wide blade for a lot less than a sterling butter knife.   If you
>can't get under the fabric, then  I suggest clippers. I've also had sucess
>with convex shaped toe nail clippers, just be careful not to clip the head.
>Jewler's sized diagonal cutters work well too. Regular diagonal cutters have
>the blade ground on both sides, so you can't get close enough to the head.
>
>I think I changed my name in this email program. We'll see.  I just got a
>new G4 867mhz computer with both the OS X and OS 9.2 operating systems and
>now have 2 explorer's, 2 netscapes, Apple mail, Outlook express and Netscape
>Mail.  So if this one if fixed there are others!!!
big snip

Thanks for the info. Les. The wax paper idea is a good one.

Someone has already removed the bellows, leaving all the nails in
place - I have a feeling that life would have been easier had the old
bellows been in place as they would help in removing the nails.

Will have a hunt through the silver box and find a nice cake slice -
a bit of grinding will give it the necessary knife edge ;-) Now that
you've got me thinking, probably the best gizmo would be one of those
old floorboard nail removers that have rounded jaws - I'm sure that
there is a small set of those lying around somewhere - but that may
have been a previous life or they are at the bottom of a tea chest in
the garage..... The limitations are on space within the rear standard
box - but as it's a 5x7 there is a bit of room to play with.

Envy you your new Mac - gave the old PowerPC here a heart transplant
a year or so ago to 350Mhz and it has been pretty good since but
luckily have not been exposed to the lightning fast 867Mhz G4.