[LargeFormat] Wooden Field Camera Jigsaws

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jan 19 15:10:06 2002

> From: Clive Warren <cocam@cableinet.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:15:19 +0000
> To: largeformat@f32.net
> Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Wooden Field Camera Jigsaws
>
> At 2:48 pm -0800 18/1/02, Les Newcomer wrote:

> Envy you your new Mac - gave the old PowerPC here a heart transplant
> a year or so ago to 350Mhz

Power PC as in PowerComputing Mac clone?  that's what I had, the 240mhz
PowerBase.  I wanted the next one up at the time, but they had all been
snapped up. Once this one was starting to look tired, I found that this one
wasn't upgradeable but the one I wanted was.  Also tried to put a USB PCI
card in this but it would have none of it.  Called tech support and got  "Oh
no not a PowerPC clone" and "That things too old, I doubt our card would
ever work on that"

"Look kid this is less than two years old!"

"Yeah like I said, that thing's really ancient"

At that point I decided there was no reason to do anything to this beast. If
the next jump up in memory would have cost about $325 and given me another
64 megs boost as I'd have to throw out the 32meg cards and replace them with
a pair of 64s.

As it turned out, on the new one, It came with 128,  the catalog gave me 512
for a $30 install charge and I bought another 512 for $80.  So for 1/3 the
price of a 64 meg boost I'm running 1.2 Gigs.

And my broadband cable runs a whole lot faster.

Now just so you don't get too envious, two weeks after this arrived, they
came out with the new iMac. same size harddrive, effectively the same
clockspeed (800vs 867) the same super drive-DVD/CDR/RW burnner with a 15
inch monitor for $1500 less, had I gotten the 15in LCD display. As it is the
new one is only $900 cheaper than what I have.

Now if I can just find where they put the extension folder in OS X......