[LargeFormat] Film loading

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Nov 9 22:26:01 2001

In one of his books or letters William Henry Jackson talked about
photographing Yellowstone with a 20x24 wet plate camera, a dark tent and
lots of ropes and pulleys.

Not only did he have to set up the camera on some precarious precipiece,
but the tent too. Then you had to coat and sensitize the plate, load it
pull it accross the river, gorge, up the cliff/bluff iwth the rope,
expose, return the holder and process it before it dried.

And he still managed to get 4 shots a day done.

I read that to myself every time I try to get film hand inspected at the
airport. Nomatter what, it's still easier today.