[LargeFormat] Film loading

Stein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Nov 9 21:42:19 2001

------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C169D2.C8945EE0

  Dear Tony,

      The changing bag is in reality a doorway into an alien world. And =
that world is hot and humid and full of dust. I use one in the field and =
have found that the best things to do are:

  1.    Dry everything off well before you enter the bag. Hands, =
holders, film boxes, etc.=20

  2.    Leave the bag open upside down to let it air out between =

  3.    Silica gel packets in there do dry it a little.

  4.     Take in a spare empty film box to put the unloads in but put =
some gaffer tape loops on it so that you can distinguish it from the =
fresh film box by feel.

  5.    Load it in the shade.

  6.     Load it in a location that does not have insects buzzing around =
you while your two arms are in the bag. The insects can recognize your =
helplessness and capitalise on it.

  7.     Load it away from your friends who will come up to you one by =
one and ask what you are doing.=20

  8.    Les Newcomer was telling the absolute truth about the loose film =
in the holder. I once took a down shot on a model lying sprawled out on =
the studio floor and was rewarded upon pushing the darkslide back in by =
the film falling forward into the camera. No biggie as I just said words =
of power and threw the film across the studio and flipped the holder =
over and continued - but it DOES happen.

  9.    If your darkbag is a really big one you can put in a little =
shelf to organise the goods you need. I have long contemplated a dark =
box with plenty of space, pockets on the front wall to take the film =
boxes and holders, and a giant all in one hood that comes over the top =
of me and cinches at the waist but this would need road transport rather =
than air. And then I look back at the olden tymes and study the =
dageurreotypist's travelling caravans and railway carriages and try to =
calculate what it would cost to rig up a darkroom on the back of a big =
Kenworth.....

       Uncle Dick

------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C169D2.C8945EE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT size=3D2>Dear =
Tony,</FONT></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The changing bag =
is&nbsp;in=20
  reality a doorway into an alien world. And that world is hot and humid =
and=20
  full of dust. I use one in the field and have found that the best =
things to do=20
  are:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dry everything =
off&nbsp;well=20
  before you enter the bag. Hands, holders, film boxes, =
etc.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Leave the bag =
open upside=20
  down to let it air out between loadings - if your tent is clean=20
  enough.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Silica gel =
packets in there=20
  do dry it a little.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Take in a =
spare empty=20
  film box to put the unloads in but put some gaffer tape loops on it so =
that=20
  you can&nbsp;distinguish it from the fresh film box by =
feel.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>5.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Load it in=20
  the&nbsp;shade.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>6.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Load it in =
a location=20
  that does not have insects buzzing around you while your two arms are =
in the=20
  bag. The insects can recognize your helplessness and capitalise on=20
  it.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>7.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Load it =
away from your=20
  friends who will come up to you one by one and ask what you are=20
  doing.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>8.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Les Newcomer was =
telling the=20
  absolute truth about the loose film in the holder. I once took a down =
shot on=20
  a model lying sprawled out on the studio floor and was rewarded upon =
pushing=20
  the darkslide back in by the film falling forward into the camera. No =
biggie=20
  as I just said words of power and threw the film across the studio and =
flipped=20
  the holder over and continued - but it DOES happen.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>9.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If your darkbag =
is a really=20
  big one you can put in a little shelf to organise the goods you need. =
I have=20
  long contemplated a dark box with plenty of space, pockets on the =
front wall=20
  to take the film boxes and holders, and a giant all in one hood that =
comes=20
  over the top of me and cinches at the waist but this would need road =
transport=20
  rather than air. And then I look back at the olden tymes and study the =

  dageurreotypist's travelling caravans and railway carriages and try to =

  calculate what it would cost to rig up a darkroom on the back of a big =

  Kenworth.....</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Uncle=20
Dick</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008A_01C169D2.C8945EE0--