[LargeFormat] Glorious weekend....

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed May 16 08:08:03 2001

At 08:24 15/05/01 -0700, Les Newcomer wrote:
snip
> > What would you say is now the lens of choice for wide angle architectural
> > shots?  Would have thought that having movements would be fairly essential
> > to avoid those converging verticals - however have seen many stunning shots
> > which use converging verticals to good effect.
>
>The movement of the industry is running towards medium format view
>cameras in the short term and the same camera with digital backs in the
>not too distant future. It's been about a year since I looked into wide
>angle medium format lenses, but I seem to remember Grandagons in the
>35mm area. At one point I was pricing a new system. The choice seemed to
>be between buying both the Arc and Flexbody from Hassy, or the Linhoff
>6x9. Having a few of the longer Hassy lenses made this cheaper than the
>Linhoff 6x9, but the new lenses for the Linhoff would have more
>coverage.
>
>The cost of these systems was in the $12-15,000.00  15 times what I paid
>for the Calumet, an SA90 and a 180 Symmar. The other problem was I knew
>the Hassy system would be a pain to shoot, having to remove the ground
>glass, attach the roll holder, remove the roll holder, sit on the ground
>glass...
>
>I could never get confirmation that the Linhoff could me used like a 4x5
>with film holders. Linhoff makes a roll holder similar to a Calumet C2,
>but it seemed not to fit with the GG.
>
>For the few people that can get client to pay for 4x5, the XL series
>from Schneider are the rage. The coverage and contrast is greater.
>People have been bowled over by the 100XL over the SA90, and the 77XL
>with a center filter blows the 65 SA away. The 58XL allows for some
>movement and the 47XL just covers 4x5. Of course these lenses are very
>big. both in size and price tag.
> >

> > Do have some internal shots planned now that I have seen your photo.  Which
> > film were you using for that shot?
>
>That was shot either on very late VPS or Early Pro 100. I have an
>interior shot done with the same lens on a Crown of an "outflow control
>chamber" if I can find it. It's kind of dramatic. Theres a 'war story'
>that goes along with it.
>
>As for needing lots of movement to correct for converging lines, the
>answer is yes, when you can get it. For years I needed a 120 to fit
>between the 90 and 180, I finally got the Nikon 120SA which will cover
>8x10 stopped down.  With tight interiors I keep the camera as level as
>possible with the 65, hope for the best and crop when I can.

The cost of the MF systems makes it more cost effective to use a Large
Format system and you get the advantage of larger negs or trannies :-)  The
other option is the 2x3 Speed or Crown Graphics where you have movements as
standard but still the ground glass removal requirement unless you use a
finder from another system and rely on a suitably configured Kalart
rangefinder.......  You're correct about the Linhof - you have to remove
the GG to use the Linhof roll film holder. The Sinar multiformat roll
holder can be used under the GG - 6x12 to 6x4.5 - frighteningly expensive
though.....

Those XL Schneider lenses sound wonderful - deep pockets required and a
sturdy lens board :-)

OK you've got my attention - would be great to see the "outflow control
chamber" shot and hear the war story - if you would like to post the photo
on the f32 Discussion Forum then let me know.

Les - we're starting to get the impression that your working outfit
includes mountaineering ropes, body harnesses  and D clips ;-)