[LargeFormat] Glorious weekend....

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 15 11:27:13 2001

Clive Warren wrote:

> At 10:00 14/05/01 -0700, Les Newcomer wrote:
> >Clive Warren wrote:
> > > snip
> > on both
> > guessing
> > good 4x5
> snip
> snip
> snip
> > > Thanks for the feedback Les.  That photo is rather impressive - the
> > > perspective is quite stunning and I bet your client
> huge snip
>
> >Yes, The Crown is a 4x5, my first Graphic in fact.Besides where's the
> >fun in putting the Grandagon on a 2x3 Crown when it came on the 2x3 XL?
> >
> >Until a few years ago, the 65 was a staple with Architectural
> >photographers. Most of my bathroom shots were with the 65.  Murphy's law
> >states that the best view of a bathroom will be from on top of the water
> >closet with the 200ws flash in the shower with the assistant.
> >
> >Les
>
> Well I guess you would have the fun of a bit of movement :-)
>
> What would you say is now the lens of choice for wide angle architectural
> shots?  Would have thought that having movements would be fairly essential
> to avoid those converging verticals - however have seen many stunning shots
> which use converging verticals to good effect.

The movement of the industry is running towards medium format view
cameras in the short term and the same camera with digital backs in the
not too distant future. It's been about a year since I looked into wide
angle medium format lenses, but I seem to remember Grandagons in the
35mm area. At one point I was pricing a new system. The choice seemed to
be between buying both the Arc and Flexbody from Hassy, or the Linhoff
6x9. Having a few of the longer Hassy lenses made this cheaper than the
Linhoff 6x9, but the new lenses for the Linhoff would have more
coverage.

The cost of these systems was in the $12-15,000.00  15 times what I paid
for the Calumet, an SA90 and a 180 Symmar. The other problem was I knew
the Hassy system would be a pain to shoot, having to remove the ground
glass, attach the roll holder, remove the roll holder, sit on the ground glass...

I could never get confirmation that the Linhoff could me used like a 4x5
with film holders. Linhoff makes a roll holder similar to a Calumet C2,
but it seemed not to fit with the GG.

For the few people that can get client to pay for 4x5, the XL series
from Schneider are the rage. The coverage and contrast is greater.
People have been bowled over by the 100XL over the SA90, and the 77XL
with a center filter blows the 65 SA away. The 58XL allows for some
movement and the 47XL just covers 4x5. Of course these lenses are very
big. both in size and price tag.

> Do have some internal shots planned now that I have seen your photo.  Which
> film were you using for that shot?

That was shot either on very late VPS or Early Pro 100. I have an
interior shot done with the same lens on a Crown of an "outflow control
chamber" if I can find it. It's kind of dramatic. Theres a 'war story'
that goes along with it.

As for needing lots of movement to correct for converging lines, the
answer is yes, when you can get it. For years I needed a 120 to fit
between the 90 and 180, I finally got the Nikon 120SA which will cover
8x10 stopped down.  With tight interiors I keep the camera as level as
possible with the 65, hope for the best and crop when I can.