[LargeFormat] Glorious weekend....

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 15 05:44:25 2001

At 10:00 14/05/01 -0700, Les Newcomer wrote:
>Clive Warren wrote:
> > At 07:27 14/05/01 -0700, Les Newcomer wrote:
> > >Clive Warren wrote:
> > snip
> on both
> guessing
> good 4x5
snip
> > >I posted a grab shot of a photo in my office, it's 16x20 so I couldn't
> > >scan it, so forgive the amatuerish copyjob.  This was shot with a 65 SA
snip
> > >http:www.ismi.net/~lnphoto/cobo.JPG
snip
> > >Les
> > Thanks for the feedback Les.  That photo is rather impressive - the
> > perspective is quite stunning and I bet your client
huge snip

>Yes, The Crown is a 4x5, my first Graphic in fact.Besides where's the
>fun in putting the Grandagon on a 2x3 Crown when it came on the 2x3 XL?
>
>Until a few years ago, the 65 was a staple with Architectural
>photographers. Most of my bathroom shots were with the 65.  Murphy's law
>states that the best view of a bathroom will be from on top of the water
>closet with the 200ws flash in the shower with the assistant.
>
>Les

Well I guess you would have the fun of a bit of movement :-)

What would you say is now the lens of choice for wide angle architectural
shots?  Would have thought that having movements would be fairly essential
to avoid those converging verticals - however have seen many stunning shots
which use converging verticals to good effect.

The public expect to see converging verticals in photographs of tall
objects as most 35mm photos have this effect when the camera is pointed up
to "grab the shot".  So,  in terms of what is expected in a photograph, of
say a tall building,  if the verticals are not converging the photo may
look odd to the general public.

Just managed to stop myself from rambling on about perception ;-)

Most internal large format work I do is portraiture so tend to go for
longer lenses and no movements.  The 65mm SA is a substitute for the
Grandagon when in the field (or desert!).  A compact little lens which
doesn't weigh a lot.  The shutter on mine is a little sticky at the slower
speeds so it will be off for CLA shortly.

Do have some internal shots planned now that I have seen your photo.  Which
film were you using for that shot?