[LargeFormat] Glorious weekend....

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed May 16 14:10:03 2001

Clive Warren wrote:

> The cost of the MF systems makes it more cost effective to use a Large
> Format system and you get the advantage of larger negs or trannies :-)  The
> other option is the 2x3 Speed or Crown Graphics where you have movements as
> standard but still the ground glass removal requirement unless you use a
> finder from another system and rely on a suitably configured Kalart
> rangefinder.......  You're correct about the Linhof - you have to remove
> the GG to use the Linhof roll film holder. The Sinar multiformat roll
> holder can be used under the GG - 6x12 to 6x4.5 - frighteningly expensive
> though.....

But then the client wants things delivered on disks, and I have yet to
find a high quality 4x5 scanner that costs less than my new car. Even
the Kodak 3570 which can handle 120 is around $8K

The two things that have killed LF as a commercial format is (1)nobody
can afford a digital back that covers 4x5 if they could build it,and (2)
the cost of LF scanners keeps people working in 35 to 120. Add to that
the quality of the high end digital backs and you can stick a fork in
LF, it's done.

> Those XL Schneider lenses sound wonderful - deep pockets required and a
> sturdy lens board :-)
>
> OK you've got my attention - would be great to see the "outflow control
> chamber" shot and hear the war story - if you would like to post the photo
> on the f32 Discussion Forum then let me know.

I'll see if I can find it.

> Les - we're starting to get the impression that your working outfit
> includes mountaineering ropes, body harnesses  and D clips ;-)

No but my working out fit includes Carhartt pants and coat, a standard
rope to lower equipment, and my camera equipment (Hassy, Metz, and
occasionally a Crown) is transported in 5 gallon plastic pickle buckets.
 ;-)  I go down either on a crane or by ladder.