[LargeFormat] Chopped in the Landy for a Microtek Scanner!

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jan 18 11:10:22 2001

At 06:38 18/01/01 -0800, Verna Knapp wrote:

>Clive Warren wrote:
> >
> > Well,
> >
> > I finally bit the bullet and sold my old short wheel base Land Rover
> > to fund a new Microtek Scanmaker 4 which has a trannie tray for
> > scanning up to and including 8x10.  There was a certain amount of
> > sadness to see the Landy go as it had been a member of my family for
> > the last 13 years. The new owner is delighted and it has gone to a
> > good home.....
>
>Clive,
>
>Congratulations on a great purchase! I have had the Microtek
>Scanmaker 5 for a while, and it does a wonderful job. I bought it
>before the Silverscan software came with it, and it still does
>a wonderful job. I think the difference between the 4 and the 5 is
>one of optical resolution, otherwise much the same.
>
>Verna

Ah, so I did the right thing :-)  Thanks for making me feel better about
losing the Landy.

The Scanmaker 5 does have a higher optical resolution - it is also a fair
bit more expensive than the Scanmaker 4 at the moment.  This is probably
because Microtek are going to discontinue the Scanmaker 4 very shortly and
replace it with a  model which does not have a trannie drawer.  There will
then be a higher end machine which does have a trannie draw but is
hideously expensive......

So, if anyone is thinking about a new or replacement scanner then snap up
one of those Scanmaker 4s - the Silverfast scanning software is normally
expensive also.

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography