[LargeFormat] Chopped in the Landy for a Microtek Scanner!

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jan 18 10:52:21 2001

Clive,
Too bad about the Land Rover.  These are suberb machines and I can see
that you will miss it in time.  Do you have a replacement to carry your
equipment around in the bush?...  Hope you got a good price for it.

Your post got me to look at the new Microtek scanning equipment.  I have
had a Scanmaker E6 for the last 5 years.  It was top technology when I
bought it and it still works as well as on the first day I got it.  Not a
glitch!   -:))

The shortcoming is that it is only 8 1/2  x  11" and it does not do film
or transparency.  I rely on a Nikon Coolscan III for scanning my 35mm.
Great little machine, but sometime it has a way of handling color which
just does not fit what should be there.  For medium and  large format, I
work from the print and scan the positive. Since I work only with
negative film and not chrome, I can do all the corrections in the
darkroom and get the print exactly as I want it on photographic paper and
then scan it.  Good as Photoshop may be, I find that my best work always
comes out from the darkroom.

I looked at the Microteck site and checked the specs for the Scanmaker
5.  Waoooh!  This is a terrific machine.  If it works for you the way my
E6 worked for me, you should be in heaven for several years to come.
This is clearly on my list of things to get when the money comes around!

Enjoy and best wishes,

Guy Glorieux
Montréal, Canada