[Jacob-list] (no subject)

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Wed Jul 23 14:30:35 EDT 2003

Kelly, one of the things we do to help control flies in our sheds, is to
use dairy lime (hydrated lime) when we clean out.  We clean out the
manure, and then sprinkle the lime liberally on the floor, then add straw
for bedding.  If my memory is correct, you are in/near York County -- we
are in Lancaster County...........similar climates and same sort of
options at the local farm stores.........you should be able to find the
lime - I buy it in 50 lb. bags.  Also, the local farm stores usually
carry various sorts of flycatcher things to hang in your
stable...........these are fairly effective.  However, you are receiving
rain right now, as we are, plus high temperatures and high humidity,
factor in your local poultry farms and you've got all the ingredients for
"fly paradise."

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Lititz, PA