[Jacob-list] Flies

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Wed Jul 23 14:26:35 EDT 2003

Without chemicals there is nothing that will do a "quick fix", but it is
possible to buy "fly predators".  They are very tiny wasp-like insects,
completely harmless to man and animal,  and they or their larvae feed on the
fly larvae.  You can make arrangements to have a certain number, depending
on your need, shipped to you each month during fly season.  You release them
in your barn or shed and they do the rest.  People I have spoken to who use
them swear by them for organic control of flies, and say that they don't
even notice that they are there, so it isn't like trading the flies for
another pest.
If you are in an area that is suitable, letting guineas or ducks free-range
your pasture and barn helps too, as they will eat fly larvae (and adults if
they can catch them).  Don't know how much these will help with your
neighbors fly production, but it will cut down your contributions
considerably.
I can't locate my link for the fly predators, but if you do a search for
that term you will find them, I'm sure.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR