[Jacob-list] Flies

Kelly Przylepa and Rich Moore kellyandrich at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 12:30:32 EDT 2003

We are having a problem with flies here. Our local area is known for fly
problems (there are several large-scale commercial chicken farmers in the
vicinity who spread all the chicken manure on the fields when the chicken
houses are cleaned out).

The flies have been terrible here as well. We had not cleaned out their
small shed this spring (we have been using the deep bedding method) so we
did that last week. We had hoped that cleaning the shed  would improve the
flies here as we didn't want our sheep to be contributing to the local fly
problem. After removing the old straw, manure, etc and liming the area and
placing new bedding on top- the shed is swarming with  flies. It is worse
than before.

Any ideas of what to do? We do not like to use nasty chemicals.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kelly