[Jacob-list] The Bachelor Party - Solo, Duo or Trio?

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 13 11:30:28 EDT 2003

I've tried different ways of keeping rams: ram with a wether buddy
works, ram by himself in close proximity to the ewes (an older ram did
really well with this, for younger rams this was too close to the ewes
and they tried to jump the fence and they beat up the gate), I have
raised two unrelated ram lambs together, put them in separate breeding
groups and put them back together for the rest of the year (put them
back together at Dusk, in their old pasture, so they have the night to
get used to each other and they re-established their pecking order
without much trouble. I've never had a problem putting lots of ram
lambs with an older ram until the ram lambs were sold. I've also run
rams of two different breeds together - each breed smells different and
a ram of a different breed is not as much of a threat to one's manhood
and they can establish dominance (usually the Jacob even though he's
smaller) without much, if any, head butting.
The ONLY time I've had a real problem keeping rams together, was with 3
Jacob rams in one pasture. I had raised two unrelated Jacob rams
together and then needed a space for a ram lamb (the offspring of one).
The dominant ram chose his offspring as second, took the little guy
under his wing to teach him to be a ram and the other ram got left out,
got less food, and became a real jerk trying to become #2 again. With
three ewes together, I had the same problem, #3 constantly tried to
become 1 or 2.
I know you said you wouldn't leave the ram with the herd all year, but
just a little insight on doing that; the ram we had with the the herd
all year, needed his space - I used to watch him leave the women and
children every morning, take a walk to the far end of the field and
bask in the sun or sit under a tree in the rain for about two hours. He
would then re-join the herd and even play with his offspring and
babysit while the ewes grazed, but he needed his "quiet time" every
morning.Whatever you decide will work for you, I'm sure your ram(s)
will adjust to the situation.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm