[Jacob-list] Lambing season(s) and Ram

Kathi Seaman kseaman at pacificrim.net
Mon Nov 27 21:39:37 EST 2000

It is my understanding that Jacobs are a primitive breed and as such I
thought they lambed only once per year.  My Barbs and St. Croix (hair sheep)
are known for producing lambs twice in a year.  My Jacob ewes lambed in
early May 2000 and I just had my first set of twins born this morning from
one of those same mothers.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is this a normal occurrence or might it have
been the fact that there were St. Croix ewes cycling around them and that
brought the Jacobs into season early?

The ram was in with them all year but still I thought they wouldn't breed
until later in the year.

BTW-I only had three adult ewes that were bred to this two year old, two
horned ram and he has produced seven lambs so far (five last May and two
this morning) and the count is 6 EWE LAMBS, 1 ram lamb.   Now, even though
he is a wonderful registered boy from Swallow Lane, I have had no one
interested in him to buy ($100 FOB) and since I don't want to breed him to
my girls again next year he is marked for the butcher some time this week.
If anyone is interested please let me know ASAP.

Kathi Seaman
Jacobs, Barbados and St. Croix sheep
Washington State