[Jacob-list] wool projects

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Mon Nov 27 12:40:49 EST 2000

I have hand felted a couple of hats with Jacob wool. It felts really
fast, so you have to be especially particular about laying it out. Jacob
wool is the "softest to the touch" of all the breeds and blends I've
felted with (on par with Merino, but Merino shrinks a lot more than
Jacob). I was thinking of trying a felt vest or coat since it feels so
nice and cozy.

I've knitted and wash machine felted a couple times, but not with Jacob
wool. Felting in the wash machine is not as easy as most directions make
it sound. You have to pour really hot water into the machine (unless you
have your hot water temperature turned way up). It usually takes at least
three times through (one project took 6 times through before it even
started to shrink and felt). It worked better to throw a couple towels in
with the felt project, instead of only having the one piece in the washer.

Let us know how it turns out.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre