[Jacob-list] Sheep Tales

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Nov 21 17:46:46 EST 2000

Mary & all,

You've got the story right.  It was the UPS man and he just rolled his eyes like he does
frequently.  He's gotten to used to our dogs, so will come in the gate and doesn't seem to
mind having to push away the sheep if they are in the yard.  A few of the more friendly ones
are really interested in what might in the boxes!

Jacob Sheep are such a pleasure to just watch.  Like most breeders I pay attention to horns,
fleece, conformation, etc, but the real reason I have these sheep is that I just love to be
around them.  Dave and I have many enjoyable evenings just messing with the sheep and watching
them.  I did have to tell Dave that we cannot keep a ram just because, as Dave says,  "That
one is just too goofy to get rid of."  Goofy isn't on my list of selection criteria.

Sounds like you did great at the Guild Show.  That's wonderful - any time you can sell more
than you buy, it's a success.

We got 3" of snow here in Georgia - high today was 39.  It was a good day to work on fiber
projects.  Speaking of which, since this is a slow time on the list, what is anyone working
on, fiberwise?  I know not everyone spins, but I'd love to hear what listers are doing with
their fleeces right now.  I'm getting close to finishing a top down sweater using handspun
yarn from Spahr Farm Lorraine with some stripes of deep red yarn that is a blend of PW
Sunshine and my Giant Angora, Sheridan.  Isn't it fun to have sweaters with names!  Also
spinning some roving I painted with Kool Aid for my mother.  She's going to weave a hooded
scarf with it.

Linda

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:21:06 -0500, Jim Spahr  wrote:
>    Linda & all,
>
> We need to have Patrice put all these funny stories into a  comic strip (call it Sheep
>Tales) for the newsletter!  What a funny story  about the ewe riding in the wheelbarrow
>eating her hay!  I still laugh when  I remember your story about the squirt gun you carry for
>protection against your  ram, and someone coming to your house and seeing you with it
>strapped around  your waist in a plastic holster.  Do I have that story right?  Could  you
>tell it again?
> The Miami Valley Weavers' Guild Show that we attended last  Sat. was fun.  We sold a Jacob
>lamb pelt and traded another one for a  cherry bench.  We sold Jacob roving in brindle
>(black, grey, white stripe),  which is usually our best-selling roving, Jacob over-dyed
>green, Horned Dorset  roving, and brown llama roving.  Our large Horned Dorset felting batt
>sold,  some pima cotton Xmas angels, and a handspun Jacob hooded scarf.  I spent  only $5
>this time on some mohair locks dyed in purples and blues - had to resist  the temptation of
>buying hand-dyed silk and alpaca!
> I have already been wearing my Jacob socks as it is getting  cold here in Ohio.  The wind is
>blowing hard today and there is a light  covering of snow on the ground.  The sheep did not
>even want to leave the  barn to go out into the pasture this morning.  Time to get the Jacob
>scarves out of the cedar chest!
> Happy Thanksgiving to  everyone!
>

>Mary Spahr

www.PatchworkFibers.com